What is scar subcision?

I have pretty bad acne scarring, and I'm 45. I've been reading a little about acne scar 'subcision'. How does this procedure really work and how does it compare to other acne scar treatments. Is it a good possibility for me, at my age?
Scar subcision is a special type of acne treatment that is best suited for those who have very deep "rolling" acne scars. Basically, after the injection of some local anesthetic, a needle is inserted under the scarred area and moved back and forth, breaking up the scar tissue. This releases the overlying skin and generally decreases the depth of the scar depressions. It is a simple procedure, the main disadvantage being that the procedure must be repeated multiple times under each of the depressed areas that is being targeted. Scar subcision does work on "ice pick" type scars, however for these "rolling" scar depressions it is an ideal treatment. Most people notice significant improvement; however those who experience the best results are probably those who combine scar subcision with another treatment modality such as laser resurfacing. Laser resurfacing stimulates new skin growth and collagen remodeling, something that scar subcision does not. Therefore, many people find that, after releasing the deepest depressions with scar subcision, laser resurfacing provides additional smoothing benefits. As always, you should schedule an appointment with your dermatologist to discuss your options. Depending on the type and extent of scarring you have, they will be able to help you determine the best treatment and will also help you weigh other considerations, such as cost.

Nearby Dermatologists