ZocdocAnswersWhat are the chances of reversing vasectomy?

Question

What are the chances of reversing vasectomy?

When I got a vasetomy several years ago, they told me that it was irreversible - but the more time passes, the more I see about reversal procedures. I would probably never be interested in this, but just curious - how difficult is it? How expensive and what are the success rates?

Answer

A vasectomy is a type of contraceptive procedure in which the tube that conducts sperm from the testicle out the urethra to the tip of the penis is surgically disrupted, preventing sperm from passing. A small percentage of men who undergo vasectomy end up wanting children later in life and attempt a vasectomy reversal. Vasectomy reversal is a delicate surgical procedure because the structures are very small. It is performed by a urologist, and success rates are better for highly skilled urologists who perform many vasectomy reversals. There are actually two different types of vasectomy reversals, depending on the anatomy and degree of scarring found in the individual patient. A vasovasostomy is the simpler and more common procedure, and more than 50% of men who undergo this procedure will end up conceiving within 2 years. Epididymostomy is used when scarring is more extensive, and this procedure has a lower success rate, with pregnancy rates of probably only 30% at 2 years. Unfortunately, the cost of vasectomy reversal can be very high, up to $10,000 or more. Additionally, as it is an elective procedure and not medically necessary, it is rarely covered by insurance. If you have further questions, a urologist would be the appropriate specialist to consult.