What are the signs of stress in children?

My husband and I recently separated, and we're keeping joint custody of our 9 year old daughter. We're both very sane, stable people and very loving, but I'm worried about the effects on her psychological and emotional health. How would I know if she was struggling ?
The effects of separation on a young child can vary, but have the potential to lead to very long standing and deep seated issues in young children. There are many factors that can affect how your child learns to cope with these issues. This can include the relationship that your child observes between yourself and your husband (i.e. observing physical or verbal abuse versus civil conversations), the attitude that you and your husband have towards one another, and physical cues that your child may pick up during discussions with your partner or about your partner. Keeping an open age appropriate dialogue with your child is very important to help them adjust to the changes that they will be facing, as well as making them understand that the separation is not related to anything the child has done. Of course, it is recommended that you discuss this further with your child's pediatrician, who can assess your child's medical history, presenting complaints, and decide if any medical intervention is appropriate. They can also give you further counseling and information on ways to help your child adjust to the changes they will be facing during and after your separation.

Other Pediatricians

• Dr. Eileen Tyrala
    Dr. Eileen Tyrala MD
    Pediatrician
    3300 Henry Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19129
  • Dr. Elaine Lee
    Dr. Elaine Lee MD
    Pediatrician
    18109 Prince Philip Drive
    Olney, MD 20832
  • Dr. Webb E. Long
    Dr. Webb E. Long MD
    Pediatrician
    55 Lake Avenue North
    Worcester, MA 01655