ZocdocAnswersWhat is this thing growing on my lip?

Question

What is this thing growing on my lip?

I'm a 29 yr old woman and I have a roundish growth coming down from my upper lip. It's rough textured and bleeds if I disturb it. What should I do? Is this a wart, or what?

Answer

This type of problem should be evaluated by a dermatologist very soon. Although you are a little on the young side for skin cancer, if you get a lot of sun, this is possible. This area is susceptible to cancers and this should be ruled out before anything else is considered. Other possibilities include a wart or a pyogenic granuloma (will be explained below). Warts are growths that occur in response to a viral infection. They are common, and thus are always a possibility when someone develops a new growth. If they are cut out or pulled off, warts will bleed. However, it is not usual for warts to bleed any time they are simply just disturbed. Pyogenic granulomas are small masses of blood vessels that form abnormally in response to a foreign object. For example if you were to get a small splinter or other injury to the area, later on a pyogenic granuloma may form. These small masses are notorious for bleeding profusely when being disturbed even a small amount. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she will be able to take a close look at your lesion and determine what it is, and initiate the needed treatment. Good luck!