Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Is it true that some kinds of juices can cause sinus irritation in kids?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it true that some kinds of juices can cause sinus irritation in kids?


My two daughters (ages 8 and 11) both have persistent sinus trouble, and seem to have trouble after eating certain foods, especially fruit juice. Could this be a real problem, or am I just being a paranoid mom?


It would be important to clarify what you mean by "sinus irritation," and how soon after they eat or drink these things the symptoms occur. Do your children have runny noses after they drink these certain types of juice, or is there more (rashes, headaches, etc)? Are the problems constant? Are the other foods that cause a similar effect similar to the juice in any way (i.e., are they fruit or other things with the same ingredients as they juice)? Do your children have any allergies? The most likely answer to your question would be a food allergy. This is something that can be quickly tested, both by yourself in your home, as well as in the doctor's office. Food allergies are very common, and you can test your children by removing the offending foods and drinks from their diets. If the problem goes away, you might have just diagnosed a food allergy. As the problem seems relatively mild (a runny nose), you can try to introduce these foods after a few months to see if they still have the same symptoms. From what you're describing, a visit to the pediatrician would be a good place to start. He or she will be able to direct you towards food modifications, and arrange testing to see what foods are likely to cause problems. They will also ask if anyone else in the family has allergies, asthma, or eczema, as these are often related. And finally, being a little paranoid isn't such a bad thing.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.