What is sebaceous hyperplasia?

My girlfriend has this problem with her skin that she says is sebaceous hyperplasia - what is it? Can it be effectively treated? She seems to have given up completely.
Sebaceous hyperplasia is a common condition. This however requires medical attention. I would recommend that your girlfriend follow up with a skin specialist (known as a dermatologist) in order to best address this condition. Sebaceous hyperplasia is a disorder of the sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands are are microscopic glands that produce sebum -- a waxy or oily substance that lubricates hair. In sebaceous hyperplasia, these glands overgrow and become enlarged and visible. While sebaceous glands exist everywhere there is hair, in sebaceous hyperplasia you often see them and are troubled by the ones located on the face. This condition is often associated with maternal hormones. Because of this it is most common in women who have are pregnant or just after delivery. These are often also complicated by acne. Acne is an infection of these glands, and therefore pimples are common in women with this. There are many treatments for this. Some of the typical acne treatments work for this. In addition there are many other stronger treatments a dermatologist may use. These often include phototherapy, that is using a laser to shrink down the glands. This is painful but often effective. I would strongly encourage you to have your girlfriend see a dermatologist. There are many effective treatments that exist.