Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is Central Serous Retinopathy?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is Central Serous Retinopathy?


My husband is in his late 60s and was having a lot of bad symptoms in one eye. The doctor just diagnosed him with Central Serous Retinopathy. Can you explain to me what this is?


Central serous retinopathy, or central serous chorioretinopathy as it is also known, occurs when part of the retina detaches because of a buildup of serous (clear) fluid behind it. It generally presents with a blurry vision or distorted vision. It is more common in men than in women and it often can occur in just one eye. The exact cause of central serous retinopathy is unknown, although there is evidence that it is associated with use of steroids as well as with "type A" personalities. Treatment of the condition is usually supportive, although more severe or recurrent cases may require a surgical intervention, such as with a laser to 'tack down' the retina. The good news is that most cases of central serous retinopathy actually get better on their own, with most patients returning to normal or near normal vision. However, their is risk of recurrence of the problem, and multiple episodes can lead to more permanent damage to the vision. Therefore, it is important for all cases of central serous retinopathy to be followed closely by an eye doctor, with regular repeat eye examinations. If you have any further questions about your husband's condition, feel free to discuss them with his ophthalmologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.