ZocdocAnswersIs chin acne from food?

Question

Is chin acne from food?

I have heard that eating greasy foods doesn't actually give you acne, that it's just a myth - but I definitely seem to break out around my mouth any time I eat fried things, within 24 hours. Is this real or am I imagining it.

Answer

Acne, or acne vulgaris as its medically known, is a common problem. Many people of all ages are afflicted by this skin condition and therefore there is much effort spent on preventing and treating it. I would discuss this with your primary care doctor as there are both over the counter and prescription medications that can help depending on the severity of the disease. In addition, for severe acne vulgaris a dermatologist (or skin specialist) can also be of help. In general, acne is a process where sebaceous glands -- microscopic glands in the skin that produce sebum -- become clogged. Sebum is an oily substance the skin produces to lubricate hair and the skin. When these pores get caused a variety of process can occur, including inflammation which results in many variants of acne including whiteheads, blackheads, pimples etc. As for what causes the clogging of the pores, there is no clear answer. We know hormones cause increased production of the sebum, therefore teenagers are most commonly afflicted with acne during puberty. Foods have never been shown to increase acne in all people. That being said, greasy or oily skin can cover the glands and clog them. So its unlikely eating the foods it causing the problem, but having a dirty chin from the greasy foods might be the culprit. Talk to your doctor for more information.