ZocdocAnswersWhat is cin1?

Question

What is cin1?

I had a pap smear and just got back the results. They say they have found cin1 cells. What does this mean? They explained, but I did not understand.

Answer

Sometimes these technical terms in medicine are difficult to understand, even if they are explained well. If your doctor told you that you have CIN - 1 cells (also known as carcinoma in situ), then you must have had a colposcopy with biopsy. This was probably done in response to an abnormal pap smear you had at one point. The purpose of all of this testing is to look for abnormal cells that may one day progress and become cervical cancer. It does not mean that you have cervical cancer. CIN - 1 is the lowest grade (least concerning) level of abnormal cells (CIN - 3 being the worse). The next step for you depends on your age and your physician's preference. If you are an adolescent, then you should probably just have routine repeat testing in 6 months to a year. If you are older than that, then the next step depends on what type of cells they found on your original pap smear. If they found low grade cells, then you CIN - 1 can be watched with a repeat pap smear in 6 months. If they were high grade cells then there are multiple acceptable next steps, but your doctor may decide to cut out the suspicious area of your cervix. Since there are multiple different routes that can be taken and recommendations sometimes change, I suggest you contact your primary care physician or OBGYN (whoever you go to for your feminine heath) and ask what the next step is. Good luck.