ZocdocAnswersWhat exactly does a blackhead look like?

Question

What exactly does a blackhead look like?

I have dark pores that are large all over my nose. Are these black headds? What is the best treatment for them?

Answer

These dark pores you describe on your nose do sound like black heads, though no one can be sure without examining them. Black heads are also called open comedones and are a type of pimple seen in many forms of acne. The best type of physician for you to see about this is a dermatologist. Open comedones occur when a poor that produces the human oil sebum gets clogged and bacteria begin to grow within it. They turn dark if the pore is partially exposed to the air, which reacts with sebum to turn it from its normal white color. If these dark pores near your nose do turn out to be open comedones, then there is some things your dermatologist may recommend. This includes the use of a benzoyl peroxide cream which will help dry up those pores and kill the bacteria living in them. Depending on the severity, he or she may also recommend a topical retinoic acid cream. None of these products should be used without your doctor's advice. Also, you will need to review what you are using to cleanse your face, as certain products can make these comedones worse. Good luck, and I hope you get this straightened out.