ZocdocAnswersWhat is the treatment for varicose veins?

Question

What is the treatment for varicose veins?

How common is it for someone in their 20s to have varicose veins. I have them and don't know if I need treatment or is this normal?

Answer

First of all I must say that it is quite abnormal for someone in their 20s to develop varicose veins. If you have lesions on your legs that you think may be varicose veins, you should have them checked out as soon as possible. If you really have them at your age, I would be worried that you may have some other issue that needs looked into. Getting back to the issue at hand, varicose veins can be treated. Treating them first means avoiding the activities that create them and make them worse. For example, standing for a long time in one place (such as a cashier) causes blood to pool in your legs and stretching the veins. Taking periodic rests from standing or making sure that you are walking around from time to time will help. Wearing constricting stockings or hose can also keep these veins from forming. Finally, there are surgical and laser treatments that can be used as last resorts. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your legs closely and determine if you do have varicose veins. If you do have them, then you physician will likely want to do additional testing to find out why you got them at such a young age.