What is the safest kind of permanent hair removal?

I have way too much body hair and shaving usually gives me whiteheads and red rashes and makes me look awful so I want to get rid of it but what is the most cost effective way to do this? What is the least painful way?
I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with shaving. Unfortunately, this is a common problem, especially in those with sensitive skin, to get whiteheads, in grown hairs, and rashes with shaving. Fortunately, there are several other options available to you. Permanent hair removal options include electrolysis and laser hair removal. Both options are highly successful, although laser hair removal is more difficult in those with dark skin tones. Both are also relatively painless, although some minor irritation of the skin may occur for a few days following the procedure. Both methods also require multiple repeat sessions in order to achieve the best results. For most people, the main barrier to either electrolysis or laser hair removal is cost. Especially for laser hair removal, the total cost of completing a course of treatment can be thousands of dollars. If cost is a barrier for you, you could consider other hair removal strategies, such as depilatory creams or waxing. These are much less expensive although, of course, they are not permanent (and waxing is uncomfortable). However, the interval at which either one needs to be repeated is much less frequent than shaving. If you have more questions about hair removal options, you should talk with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist.

Nearby Dermatologists

• Dr. Peter Chien
    Dr. Peter Chien MD, PhD, FAAD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Lian Mack
    Dr. Lian Mack MD
    Dermatologist
    130 East 18th St
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. David Khalil
    Dr. David Khalil MD, FAAD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016