ZocdocAnswersWhy is my hair getting so greasy?

Question

Why is my hair getting so greasy?

I'm nearly 29, female, never had almost ANY skin or hair problems before, but suddenly (like in the last few months) my hair has gotten so oily it looks horrible. What can I do about this? Is it a sign that something's really wrong with me?

Answer

Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer your question to any helpful degree without more information. Increased oil production in your hair (and the rest of your body) can sometimes be associated with changes in hormone levels. That obviously brings up questions such as whether or not there have been other notable changes in the same time span, i.e., did you start a new birth control method? Did you become pregnant? Have you had changes in your menstrual cycle or had sudden shifts in your weight? All of these are just a few of the questions that would need to be answered before there is any acceptable answers to give you. As for whether or not there is something really wrong with you, it is unlikely that such is the case in the absence of other symptoms, but you really should follow up with a physician in person who can ask you all of the questions that are important to answer. As for things that you can do in the time that you are waiting until you can get in to see your physician, try leaving your shampoo on your head for a full 5 minutes after you lather up before you rinse it out. Also, avoid brushing your hair too frequently, as this can cause the oil to migrate from your scalp to the ends of your hair.