ZocdocAnswersWhy are my toes chapped?

Question

Why are my toes chapped?

Some of my toes have developed a condition. The skin looks really chapped and has ""layers"" that split and bleed and never compeltely heal. What should I do? Should I see a doctor?

Answer

In young and healthy people, it is very common to see dry and cracked toes and balls of the feet, especially in the winter time. Many people that these symptoms notice that the dryness ad cracking is worsened over the wintertime and improve as the weather gets warmer. Aggressive moisturizing is one way to help avoid getting severely dry and cracked feet and toes. This can be done with vaseline or other moisturizing lotions at night time or as needed. Other causes for these symptoms can be fungal infections. In this case, it is important to be evaluated by your podiatrist or primary care doctor who would best be able to evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate work up and treatment options if any are available. It is unclear from your description whether you have any medical problems, such as diabetes. Diabetics are at a very high risk for developing diabetic foot ulcers and infections in their feet which can lead to debridement and possible amputation depending upon the severity of the illness. Again, it is important that you be evaluated by a medical care provider because there are many painful and debilitating complications associated with this condition.