ZocdocAnswersHow does the smoothbeam laser work?

Question

How does the smoothbeam laser work?

I am a guy in my mid 20s with a very frustrating acne problem. I am considering getting the smoothbeam laser treatment. Is it safe? How does this work?

Answer

Acne, or acne vulgaris as its medically known is a common medical condition. There are many causes for acne, as well as many potential treatments. If you acne is severe enough to consider this level of treatment, you should first discuss this with a dermatologist (or skin specialist). I would strongly encourage you to talk to a dermatologist prior to any therapy. Laser therapy is an end of the line therapy for acne. This is done only after many topical and oral medications have failed. Please discuss these options further with your doctor. Laser therapy can be used to prevent acne. Acne is a problem where sebaceous glands -- gland that produce sebum -- become clogged and inflamed. Sebum is an oily substance that lubricates the hair follicles. The thought behind laser therapy is that the high intensity energy can burn away the sebaceous glands and the hair follicles. There is also thought that over time this changes the bacteria that surround and infect the glands. Another thought of laser therapy is that it can shape the scars caused by acne (like dermabrasion -- simply removing the damaged tissue and letting new skin grow). Overall, in the hands of trained professional, it is safe. There is very little data that it actually works, however the science behind it is sound. Talk to a dermatologist for more information.