ZocdocAnswersI am a 20 year old female and I've been experiencing pain behind my nose. It mostly affects the left nostril. I have trouble breathing through it. I also have really bad headaches which seem to be related. I've taken decongestants but they don't seem to help much. Is it my sinuses or something else?

Question

I am a 20 year old female and I've been experiencing pain behind my nose. It mostly affects the left nostril. I have trouble breathing through it. I also have really bad headaches which seem to be related. I've taken decongestants but they don't seem to help much. Is it my sinuses or something else?

I am a 20 year old female, with a history of allergies. The last few months, up to a year I've been having pain in my nose. The left side is most affected. I've seen an ENT, who suggested decongestants and allergy shots, but neither seem to help. What should I do?

Answer

There are a lot of different causes that could explain all the symptoms you are having, but that discussion is beyond the scope of this answer. You did not mention if you have experienced any fevers associated with this pain that you are experiencing. If you are having fevers, there is a possibility that you are experiencing sinusitis which is an infection within one of the sinuses. With sinus infections, it is common to experience headaches, fevers, runny noses, sharp pain (sometimes can be confused with headaches). As you suggested, it could also be from allergies, which can give you many of the same complaints that you are having as well. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make a diagnosis without evaluating your clinical picture in person. For that reason, it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor, who will be able to examine your medical history, and evaluate your presenting symptoms and decide upon the proper work up. This may include referring you to specialists such as ENT doctors. They will also be able to provide the appropriate treatment options if they are available.