Click to book now:

Why is the skin between my fingers itchy and peeling?

I am a 38 year old mother of 4, with no known allergies. For the past 3 months I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring, nor a special ring that my Grandmother gave me, because the skin between my ring finger and my middle finger (on both hands) is very itchy and the skin is peeling. I have tried using cortizone cream, a milk and oatmeal soak, neosporin, even taking fish oil to help eleviate the itching and the peeling. Just when I think it is gone, my skin will start up again. I use rubber gloves when I wash the dishes, and try to use warm water, instead of hot. This is the only place that this is happening.
That is a very good question. From your description, it is recommended that you be evaluated by your primary care doctor because this seems to be a very aggravating situation and it has been going on for quite some time now. Your primary care doctor will be able to best assess your medical history and current symptoms and complaints, and decide upon the appropriate medical work up. He or she may decide to refer you to a specialist. He or she may order special blood work, or skin tests to assess what is going on with your skin. Have you noticed that the itchiness and peeling are in a band like manner around the fingers that you were wearing the rings on, it is not clear from your description? If that is the case, it is likely that you have a skin allergy to the metals in your rings. If this is the case, you may have to avoid these metals so that you do not continue to have the peeling and itchiness that you are experiencing. If this is a skin allergy, you may consider benedryl cream to lessen the irritation. Aggressive hand moisturizing is another important way to lessen these symptoms.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!