Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I hurt my foot one day, and it has continued to hurt 2 months afterwards."

ZocdocAnswersI hurt my foot one day, and it has continued to hurt 2 months afterwards.


I am a 64 year old retired grandmother, I go on one mile walks at least 3 times a week. about 2 months ago i got out of my car to start my walk at the local towns trail, when my foot exploded with pain. I could'nt walk that day and for several days afterwards. now i still have pain in my heel and it has not gone away, i have to put all the weight on my right foot to walk, and if i put any weight on the heel of my left foot. it sends spasms up my leg. what is wrong with my foot? did i break a small bone? should i get some special treatment?


You should definitely see your primary care doctor as soon as possible, because I am concerned about the possibility of a fracture of a bone in the foot. Stress fractures are common in the feet in people who run or otherwise engage in vigorous activity. However, in a woman your age, I would be more concerned about low bone density (osteoporosis) and a fracture possibly resulting from that. Your primary care doctor will likely get an x-ray to rule out a foot fracture. They will also ask you questions about bone health, calcium intake, and the like. Although screening for osteoporosis is not always recommended for women under 65, if there is a fracture in your foot, or if you have other risk factors (such as smoking, or a family history of fractures), your doctor may want to check your bone density. If it turns out you do not have a fracture, there are still several other possible causes of pain in your foot. One would be a bone spur on the heel bone causing irritation with walking and other exercise. Another would be plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tissue on the sole of the foot. Regardless, you should start by seeing your primary care doctor.

Need more info?

See an internist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.