ZocdocAnswersDoes Topamax work for weight loss?

Question

Does Topamax work for weight loss?

I am overweight and have gained even more weight from Celexa. I have tried dieting and exercise, but it seems the Celexa has slowed my metabolism. I have heard that Topamax will help me lose weight.

Answer

Topamax is used as an antiseizure medication as well as for the prevention of migraines (not the treatment of headaches associated with migraines once they have occurred). One of the side effects associated with taking topamax is that patients usually notice some weight loss. There are many other side effects to this medication including numbness, tingling and burning pain in the extremities, confusion, speech difficulty, depression and mood swings. From your description it is unclear what you would be taking topamax for, but it appears that you take celexa for depression, and so this is not likely to be a good medication for you because one of its side effects is depression. In terms of weight loss, it is important to discuss options with your primary care physician who is best able to evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate diet and exercise regimen that would be appropriate for you. There are medications that can help you lose weight but these have many side effects as well and so it is best to discuss this with your primary care doctor. Weight loss groups are also very good to help you maintain the weight loss.