I had two new moles that appeared after I was burnt in a tanning bed, they have now disappeared, should I be concerned?

I'm a 24 year old male, and after getting a pretty bad sunburn in a tanning bed I noticed two new moles appeared on my chest. I picked at them a little, and they scabbed over, yet came back. After about 3 months, they have totally disappeared though, should I be concerned? Do I need to still see a doctor?
Skin changes are very common. The skin is a living organ that often changes in response to the environment and its stress. That being said, moles are concerning. If there is any remaining skin alteration, I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor. Specifically, a dermatologist or skin specialist could be of benefit. Firstly, it must be said that there is a known risk of skin cancer associated with tanning. The ultraviolet light can cause changes in the skin which increases risk for melanoma and squamous cell cancer -- two serious forms of skin cancer. I would strongly recommend that you discuss this with a doctor. Especially if you are being burned, this is excessive and unsafe. New moles are concerning. Melanoma is a serious form of skin cancer that requires concern. The signs that a mole might be melanoma include if its growing, asymmetric (not a perfect circle), has an irregular border, has multiple colors, and has a diameter >6 millimeters or being elevated. Actinic keratosis or squamous cell cancer can also form after a burn. This is another type of skin cancer that requires attention. I would recommend you see a doctor. Even if the lesions you noticed are not a concern, you are at risk for problems in the future. Good luck!

Nearby Dermatologists

• Dr. Lian Mack
    Dr. Lian Mack MD
    Dermatologist
    130 East 18th St
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Peter Chien
    Dr. Peter Chien MD, PhD, FAAD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Salma Pothiawala
    Dr. Salma Pothiawala MD, FAAD, MPH
    Dermatologist
    222 E. 31st Street
    New York, NY 10016