Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I was struck in the eye by a bottlecap blown off the bottle. Now it is red and sore. What do I do?"


I am a 28 year old male with general good physical health. Opening a bottle the other day, the bottle cap blew off by the force of carbonation and hit me right in the front of my eye, I saw a flash of light and had feelings of intense pain. My vision seems uneffected, but two days later it is still sore and red, and hurts to the touch. I have taken no medication or done anything other then apply ice to dampen the feeling, with little success.


It sounds like you really got hit hard by that bottle cap. Anytime you may have done damage to your eye you should be evaluated by a qualified health care professional. The flash of light you experienced was most likely nothing, but it could have been a small tear in your retina.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

This is the part of they eye that senses light. If you experience any changes in your vision, or if you have an increase in the number of "floaters," then you should see an ophthalmologist right away. As far as the tenderness and redness of the eye, that is most likely just a bruise. However, if you had any break in the skin then it could be an infection. If this is the case, then you will need antibiotics to get it to pass. The first thing you need to do is schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at your eye and determine if there is any signs of infection. In addition, your doctor can perform vision tests to insure that there are no deficits that you have not noticed. If there are any deficits, then you may warrant what's known as a fundoscopic exam performed by an ophthalmologist to make sure that you do not have a retinal tear. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.