Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What ADHD medication would give me long lasting results that will keep me focused and alert throught out the day. "

ZocdocAnswersWhat ADHD medication would give me long lasting results that will keep me focused and alert throught out the day.


I am a 22 year old female college student who was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age. I have trouble concentrating throughout the day and constantly lose focus on work that I need to be doing. I am currently taking 30 mg of vyvanse and it works, however mid-day/afternoon i notice it start to wear off and I become tired. Is there anything I can do to make it last longer during the day?


Unfortunately, we now know that many patients who had ADHD as children continue to have symptoms into adulthood. This seems to be your case, and I am glad that you have been able to continue treatment for your symptoms. It certainly does sound like you are having something like a 'wear-off' effect of the Vyvanse in the afternoon. However, this is less typical than with some of the other ADHD medicines, as Vyvanse is supposed to be a once a day, long acting medicine (which theoretically shouldn't have this wear-off effect). It is of course possible that the dose of the medicine is just too low and needs to be adjusted. It is also possible that something else is going on. I say this because when the ADHD medicines wear off, the principle symptom should be difficulty concentrating, not fatigue per se. For example, if you find that you are most fatigue shortly after eating lunch, this may in fact not be a problem of the medicine but rather of the insulin surge that you are having with lunch. A brief amount of exercise after lunch and limiting carbohydrate intake might fix this. Regardless, you will need to set up a visit with your psychiatrist to discuss your medication dosing and see if a change needs to be made.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.