Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Why do I scar so easily in comparison to others?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I scar so easily in comparison to others?


I am a 27 year old female and have always been prone to scarring. I have a history of allergies, but do not take any medications for them or anything else. I do drink alcohol daily, more than the average person, but not in excess. I do not keep up with regular doctor appointments, such as physicals and annuals, i only go when I am sick. What type of doctor would you recommend I see and does it sound like any type of specific skin condition you've heard of before?


Unfortunately, there are many other questions that would need to be answered before a your question can be appropriately answered. You seem to imply that, other than drinking and allergies, you are in good health with no known medical conditions. Obviously, there are some conditions that will cause people to heal wounds differently. In some with inadequate diets (often associated with alcoholism), a lack of appropriate vitamins and minerals can delay and alter wound healing and scar formation. A regular physical exam and appropriate contact with a primary care doctor can help to allay concerns for anything outside of the ordinary, and would be advised. An OB/GYN would be an important part of appropriate health care, as you will need preventive health exams such as a Pap smear. He or she would be able to address those issues with you as well. Now, to answer your question directly. There are some groups that have more pronounced scars than others. Chinese and South Pacific heritage are often noted as ethnic groups who are more prone to hypertrophic scars (large scars outside of the bounds of the initial injury that resolve over about 2 years) or keloids (scars that grow into the surrounding, undamaged, skin and never go away by themselves). African Americans also have a tendency towards more pronounced scarring. Finally, those between the ages of 10-30 years old are more likely to have these overactive scars. A visit to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon might offer some options for especially unsightly scars. Again, however, make sure to stay up to date on your preventive health issues, and address your scarring concerns directly with a physician at your next appointment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.