ZocdocAnswersWhy does my urine have a strong scent each time I releive myself?

Question

Why does my urine have a strong scent each time I releive myself?

I am 18 years old, five foot four, 107 lbs. I am very healthy and drink plenty of water. I have searched for an answer to this question a few times and have only been told to drink more water. My urine smells like baking soda sometimes, and almost like bacon at other times. I have experienced this smell for about two or three years and it has not effected my life. I have never had a UTI or bladder infection. I am taking ortho tri-cyclin lo birth control, but no other medications. I have been on the pill for one year.

Answer

The most common cause of strong urine odor is having concentrated urine. This is why others have told you to drink plenty of water in the past. If you urine is very dark yellow when you urinate, then it is likely that you are not drinking enough water and that this is the cause of the odor. You should also think about any associations of the odor with certain foods. In some people, ingesting certain foods gives the urine a strong odor. The most obvious example of this is asparagus, but there are other foods as well that can change the smell of the urine. If the smell persists, it might be worth having a physical examination by your primary care or OB GYN physician. This is because sometimes the odor in the urine actually comes from a vaginal infection. For example, bacterial vaginosis, which is caused by an imbalance in the types of bacteria living in the vagina, can be associated with a very strong or fishy order which may also show up in the urine. Vaginal yeast infections can also cause urine odor. In addition to a physical examination, your doctor may examine some vaginal secretions under the microscope or send a urine test.