Why do I have blood in my urine after running?

I run regularly, generally 60-70 miles per week, and sometimes after i finish running I have a strong sense of urgency to get to the bathroom. And when I do my urine will come out a dark rust to a even a bright red. It happens at random. Usually though when it happens I will urinate blood for the next few days only have runs, then it will go away for a few days. This has been happening for about 6 months.
Blood in the urine is known as hematuria. What you are experiencing seems to be what we call exercise induced hematuria also known as March Hematuria (meaning blood or blood products that spill into the urine). The way it works is that when you exercise vigorously, some of your red blood cells break apart spilling their contents into the blood which then makes its way into the urine. Another possibility is that your exercise is causing mild muscle damage which is spilling muscle contents into the blood (making urine red). This is less likely. Finally, there is a small possibility that you have an issue with your kidneys that is unrelated to exercise. While this type of hematuria is most likely what you have, there is now way to rule out other causes until you get evaluated. The best type of physician for you to see is a primary care physician such as an internal medicine doctor. He or she can take a more detailed history of when you develop these symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, your doctor can order urine tests which can be sent to the laboratory. These test can determine if you have blood cells in your urine, hemoglobin or myoglobin (all of which can be red). This will help narrow down the cause and make sure that you do not have any other kidney problems.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists