I had my left knee ran over by a car in 07' and since then it's healed really good but i have "twinges" from time to time and very short stabbing pains. Should i get it checked out or is it just side affect?

I'm a 26 yr old male, not very athletic, i don't really exercise or do anything haeavy. My knee was ran over in 07' and since then it's healed pretty good but still have minor pains here and there. Should i have it checked out or is the minor pains just side affects?
I am sorry to hear that you had an accident, but I am glad that you have healed well. Unfortunately, after a serious accident there can be damage to nerve roots that can lead to persistent twinges of pain, or numbness and tingling, or other sensations. Usually these symptoms get better over time, but occasionally they do not go away entirely. There is not much you can do to influence this outcome, although if the pain gets severe you should talk to your doctor. Similarly, sometimes after an accident, there can be degeneration of the cartilage in the affected joint, leading to accelerated arthritis symptoms. If you especially have joint stiffness or swelling, you may want to talk to your doctor about this possibility to see if X-rays are needed or if additional treatment is recommended. Setting up an exercise plan, preferably with the help of a personal trainer or gym coach, and making sure to maintain a health weight can help to improve your function and mobility, minimize further deterioration of your knee, and help with your pain. Start by setting up a visit with your primary care doctor, who can examine the knee to see if there is anything obviously wrong that needs investigation.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists