Why does the joint in my left hip always make a popping sound when I stand up?

I'm an 18 year old college student, so I have to do a lot of walking around campus. However, I have noticed this problem for at least a couple of years. I know some popping of the joints is normal, but this one is always in the same location, my left hip, and happens quite often when I stand up or change positions while standing. Is there any way to make this go away, and should I be worried about it?
Hip concerns are common. The hip is such an intricate and complex joint that there are many things that can go wrong. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. For such a young person, not allowing any problem to grow and fester would be a serious concern. The popping of joints is normal. This happens due to a change in pressure causing either vacuum in the joint that moves fluid of the joint and causes a noise (the "pop"). There are many people who believe that intentionally popping or cracking your joints causes joint disease. There is no data to suggest that this is true, and it is unlikely given the reason the noise occurs. Some joints, given their location and surrounding structures are more likely to make this noise. This does not mean that the joint is problematic. Other noises (normally clicks) can be caused by joint problems. Clicks often occur when the meniscus (padding in the joint) is injured and therefore causes a bone on bone sound. This is normally accompanied by locking, giving way, pain or instability of the joint. Without these it is unlikely there is a joint problem. See your doctor.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists