ZocdocAnswerswhy are women more prone to urinary tract infections

Question

why are women more prone to urinary tract infections

I am a 32 year old woman with end stage renal failure and currently on the wait list for transplantation. I was told that my condition arose due to a long standing urinary tract infection that spread to both kidneys. I have heard severally that woman are more likely to have urinary tract infections and i wonder why this happens more frequently in women and could this really have caused my kidney problems

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have developed end stage renal failure. You must have had a really serious infection to do that much damage to your kidneys. It is rare, but not unheard of. While it is true that women are more susceptible to urinary tract infections, I think that you may have some additional risk factor beyond the average women to have developed such an infection. The reason that women are more likely to get urinary tract infections is because their urethra (tube that carries urine out of the body) is shorter than men's. Thus, the bacteria that cause those infections have less of a distance to travel up to the bladder. Also, the location of women's urethras give the urethral entrance more access to infection causing bacteria. I think that the best type of physician for you to schedule an appointment with is a urologist (in addition to the nephrologist that will be overseeing your transplant). The urologist can examine your bladder with a camera and make sure that you have no additional reason to have bad urinary tract infections. You want to make sure you get any problems treated so that the same infection won't happen to your transplanted kidney.