ZocdocAnswersWhy does the bottom of my tongue hurt when I go running?

Question

Why does the bottom of my tongue hurt when I go running?

I'm 18 years old, and I've had this problem since I was about 12 years old. I'm not out of shape, but when I run a long way or walk on a really hot day, the space under my tongue aches. I'm on a lot of anti anxiety medications, and I don't know if this affects it. When I ask someone about this, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Answer

The good news is that if this is a problem that you have lived with for the last 6 years and if it has not gotten worse and only occurs with vigorous exercise, then it is unlikely to be a serious medical problem. Nevertheless, I can think of two possible explanations. The first is that the pain is related to muscle strain or fatigue in the muscles of the jaw and floor of the mouth. Sometimes, people clench the muscles of their jaws when they are exercising intensely. If you are doing this, you may find that these muscles ache after you get done with a long period of exercise. Another possibility is that you are getting dehydrated. With vigorous exercises, the body loses a lot of salt and water. When these losses become extreme, they can produce various sensations, including weakness, headache, visual changes, and numbness or other strange sensations in the mouth. You may want to try keeping yourself better hydrated will exercising, especially during hot weather, and see if this makes a difference. To better understand these symptoms, you should discuss them with your primary care doctor.