Why is the skin around and behind my fingernails peeling and red?

I am a 22 year old female and for the past 5 months the skin around, and behind my fingernails is peeling, red, and raw. Lotion and moisturizers do not help. It can become very painful at times. I live in a very humid climate, however, it has been dry due to winter.
There are a variety of things that can cause the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the most common causes can be skin dryness which can be caused by the weather. Aggressive moisturizing can help with this problem. Using a humidifier can also help keep your skin moist and avoid the dryness that can lead to cracking and redness. Another cause can be excessive hand washing leading to dryness in the hands and redness and peeling around the nails. Vitamin deficiencies can sometimes manifest with dryness around the fingernails and peeling of the skin. This can be remedied by taking a daily multivitamin. With the short description and without being able to see the symptoms you are having, it is very difficult to know what is the cause for the redness and peeling around your fingernails. It is recommended that you visit your primary care doctor, as they will best be able to evaluate your medical history as well as presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate work up. They will also be able to decide upon whether there are any available treatment options available.

9815 E Harry St