Why do I have a scaley red rash on the inside of my elbow?

I'm a 33 year old school teacher and mother of one. I have a history of allergies (seasonal) but am not normally prone to rashes. I'm not prone to dry skin either. This rash appeared about a month ago and has become larger and more itchy as time has gone on. It's red and scaly and sometimes looks dry. It's only on that one spot on my inner elbow and no where else.
What you have sounds very suspicious of atopic dermatitis, a type of eczema. This skin condition often occurs in individuals that have allergies, though a specific allergic response is not always responsible for the problem. The rash is described as dry and scaly, can be red with white edges, and gets worse when scratched. It also itches terribly. The most common place for eczema to show up is in the flexor (inner) portions of the elbow. Most of the time the rash can be treated effectively with moisturizing creams or low dose steroid creams. The best type of physician for you to see is a dermatologist. He or she can take a close look at your rash and make a diagnosis. If it does turn out to be eczema, then the doctor can make a recommendation for treatment. The first step will likely be using a moisturizing cream such as Eucerin. If that doesn't work, then a low dose steroid cream will come next. If you are still battling symptoms with both a moisturizing cream and a steroid cream, then more advanced treatments may be warranted. In addition, testing for food allergies that may be contributing can be done if need be. Good luck.

Nearby Dermatologists