ZocdocAnswerswhy do i have a black/green bruise on the roof of my mouth?

Question

why do i have a black/green bruise on the roof of my mouth?

I am a 22 year old student and I recently noticed a bruise in my mouth that never goes away. No pain is associated with the bruise and I never remember it being there until I get sick. It is located on the mouth on the roof. When I get sick flesh colored, raised bumps occur and it becomes very hard to swallow. When I get really sick, blisters/canker sores develop where I can't eat or drink anything acidic. The sores go away within 2weeks but the bruise remains. I saw an Ear-Nose-Throat specialist and also went to the ER. Both told me it could be Coxsackie Virus. However, I am never around kids nor do I have any kids. I've noticed this bruise about 4 months ago while looking at a cavity in the mirror. Please help

Answer

It sounds like you have been taking the proper steps, in that you have seen an Ear-Nose-Throat Doctor (Otolaryngologist-Head and Neck Surgeon), but you are still not satisfied with the answer that you have received so far. Unfortunately from your question, it would be important to know a bit more (specifically regarding the timeline of the bruise and the blisters, and how long they have been there, as well as what other symptoms, such as fatigue and also your past medical history). From your question, I do gather that the surgeon you visited was somewhat unsure about your specific symptoms. In medicine, this is somewhat common, unfortunately, which is why time is sometimes our greatest ally. If the bruise and sores are really Coxsackie virus, then it would make sense that they would get better with time and then not come back (not wax and wane), as your question seems to imply. As for the part about not being around kids, that is unfortunately a minor detail, as the virus can spread readily enough any time you push a grocery cart or touch anything shared by other people. Now let's address the "bruise." Without performing an exam, I would say that there is a good chance that the discoloration could be unrelated to the bumps and sore throat. Many people have moles (just like in their normal skin) in their mouths, eyes, and other mucosal surfaces. These can be cancerous, like any mole, and thus require surveillance by a doctor, especially if you notice that they are large or are growing/changing. Other things (such as blood vessels very close to the surface) can also cause discoloration, but it is important to work with an ear nose and throat surgeon who you feel comfortable with to identify if there is anything more serious occurring in your case.