I had a cough for almost one month and my cough is not getting better even though I am taking a cough syrups. Why is my cough not getting better?

I am 37 years old and I have a son who is 10 months old. I had a cough for almost one month. Even though I am taking cough drops and cough syrups for almost one month, the cough is not getting better. I also had lots of mucus which makes me throw up a lot. I am taking the syrups that helps to release mucus;however, the syrups are not helping to feel better. What should I do to heal it completely? I am a little bit afraid that I might pass the cough to my son since I nurse him.
There are a number of different causes for a cough that goes on as long as this, but you should definitely see a doctor to help you sort it out. Allergic rhinitis, or nasal allergies, involve inflammation and swelling of the nasal passages, leading to stuffiness, mucus, and chronic cough. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the cavities in the skull brought about by plugging with mucus of the normal passages by which the sinuses drain into the nose, leading to congestion, headache, a sensation of fullness, and cough. Heartburn, or reflux disease, can also provoke a chronic cough as the acid from the stomach washes up into the mouth and irritates the back of the throat. Finally, in someone taking care of small children, I would also worry about the possibility of pertussis infection, or 'whooping cough', which causes a very strong cough that lasts for weeks and is often severe enough to cause soreness in the chest and ribs and may lead to gagging, retching, or vomiting. I suggest you start by calling your primary care doctor and setting up an appointment. They will most likely be able to tell which is the cause of your cough and will help you decide on a plan for treating the problem.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists