I have frequent nosebleeds, should I be concerned?

I recently had a cold during which I felt really terrible. I had very terrible sinus pressure and could not breathe through my nose. Eventually, I felt a pop in my sinuses, and had a nose bleed. This has been going on continuously for about a month. It happens every few days.
Frequent nosebleeds can be a concerning symptom. There are some minor causes, but also some major causes that should be evaluated. I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor. In addition, an Ear - Nose - Throat (or ENT) doctor can be of help as the specialist in this area. Nosebleeds have a few common causes. There is often an anatomic problem that can cause this. Inflammation of the nasal mucosa (lining of the nose) by an infection is common. This inflammation can effect the many tiny blood vessels and cause bleeding. Pressure that builds up in a sinus infection can also disrupt the nasal mucosa and cause bleeds. Sinus infections are mostly viral, but can be caused by a bacteria. Trauma is a common cause of infection, this most commonly comes from nose picking. This is more common in the setting of an infection, where there is increased nasal mucus. If you are, I would recommend you limit your nasal cleaning. Another consideration, is that there is an abnormal thinness to your blood. Medicines such as aspirin and ibuprofen thin your blood. There are also other blood conditions that cause this. I would recommend having this evaluated. You sound like you have a sinus infection -- which should be addressed by your doctor.

Nearby Internists

Other Internists

• Dr. Peter Birk
    Dr. Peter Birk MD
    10901 Connecticut Ave
    Kensington, MD 20895
  • Dr. Adam Karp
    Dr. Adam Karp MD
    301 East 17 Street
    New York City, NY 10003
  • Dr. Lisa Higley
    Dr. Lisa Higley DO
    36539 Harper Avenue
    Clinton Township, MI 48035