Why does my neck hurt so much?

I am 22 years old, female and a fibromyalgia sufferer. However I have had sever neck pain for the past 6 years. Could it be caused by stress? Pain killers barely touch the pain. I have very many drug allergies and I also want to treat my health as holistically as possible.
Neck pain is a common symptom. I would strongly encourage you to see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated and potentially treated. Neck pain is concerning, mainly because of the important structures that are located in the neck -- the air pipe (trachea), food pipe (esophagus), blood vessels (carotid arteries and jugular veins) and spine. That being said, the most common cause of neck pain is muscular pain or bone pain. Muscular pain is often because of a sprain or strain. This causes inflammation in the neck muscle which can be exacerbated by any movement. Normally this will go away over time but occasionally the inflammation is severe and requires medicines (such as ibuprofen). In addition, physical therapy can be helpful to strengthen the muscles around the area to better support the inflamed muscle. Bone back, such as a narrowing of the spinal canal, can also cause this, although is more common in elderly people. Fibromyalgia can cause pain in any location, although the base of the neck is a common location. While this disease is not well understood, there are treatment for this type of pain. Medicines such as elavil or prozac can be helpful. Massage therapy may be of benefit. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

Nearby Internists

Other Internists