Click to book now:

Why do I have chronic chills?

I am a 25 mother of two, and I struggle with chronic chills 2-3 times a week. I become so cold that no amount of blankets or clothing will make me warm. It has been happening for the past 9 months, and has recently gotten worse. I have had my iron and electrolyte levels tested. What could be the problem? Should I see my family doctor for testing? If so, what should I have tested?
Chills are a symptom that can mean many different things. It sounds like your chills are more than just the sensation of being cold. I would first want to know if you are having any fevers during these times. This will be important for your doctor to know. If these chills are associated with fever, then they likely represent activation of your immune system. Chronic infections that the immune system is having trouble fighting off can cause this type of presentation. In addition, some immune system cancers such as lymphoma have been known to cause fever, chills, and sweats. If this is not the case for you, then your doctor would have to look into other causes of feeling cold. the first thing I would check is your thyroid gland function. Low thyroid hormone can be a cause of low body temperature. In addition, adrenal gland dysfunction, if severe enough can cause body temperature to drop. i suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). After a detailed history of your symptoms and a thorough physical exam, I think many of those causes can be ruled. Your doctor will likely want to order a couple of blood tests to measure your thyroid and adrenal function (if this is suspected). I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)