ZocdocAnswersWhat are some natural ways to help with pain derived from Rheumatoid arthritis?

Question

What are some natural ways to help with pain derived from Rheumatoid arthritis?

I am a 28 year old male with Rheumatoid Arthritis and am trying to find some good ways to prevent or even subdue the pain in my knees using natural methods and / or products. Thanks for your help.

Answer

Rheumatoid arthritis can be a tough disease to live with. The good news is that treatments today are excellent, can reverse the natural pathology of the disease, and provide people with long term relief. The answer to your question depends on your definition of natural. If the word natural means herbs, plants, Chinese remedies, or vitamin supplements, then the answer is no, there are no options of these types which will give you any long term relief. If your definition of natural is reversing the natural pathology of the disease, and returning the joint to its natural state, then yes, there is a method to do this. The method of using methotrexate to reverse rheumatoid arthritis has revolutionized the prognosis of this disease. It reduces inflammation, helps joints heal, and prevents further damage. Because rheumatoid arthritis is so disabling, it is important for you not to delay treatment while trying other methods when there is a method that is proven to work. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a rheumatologist. He or she can discuss the newer options for rheumatoid arthritis treatment. The first line is treatment with low dose methotrexate. You will not only get relief from the pain, but you will prevent future joint damage and disability. Good luck.