ZocdocAnswers"How can I increase my chances of fertility?"

Question

"How can I increase my chances of fertility?"

I am 28 year old female. I have three children, ages 7, 6, and almost 2 years old. I did not have any issues conceiving them and had healthy pregnancies. My husband and I are trying to conceive our fourth and have been actively trying for the past six months. We have tried the natural rythm method and charting. On average we have sexual intercourse 3-4 times a week and increase that during peek times of ovulation. We have not been to our mdiwife or tried any sort of medications such as Clomid. What is a natural/organic way to improve our fertility?

Answer

It sounds like you are doing everything right in your attempts to conceive for a fourth time. You are having adequate amounts of intercourse. Since you have had 3 kids before, and (presumably) have not had any health problems since then, there is no reason at this time to suspect that you are having fertility problems. The only piece of advice I could give you is trying one of those home ovulation detection kits. Basically they detect blood levels of Leutinizing hormone (LH), the hormone that causes ovulation. I think using Clomid is very premature here as you have only been trying to get pregnant for 6 months. Physicians will not start an infertility work-up or prescribe medications for fertility until you have tried to get pregnant for at least a year without success. It sounds like you have a midwife that you plan on using for your birth. Most physicians would not object to this as long as your pregnancy was considered low risk and you are planning to have the baby in a hospital. I do think that you should schedule an appointment with an OBGYN just for a consultation. You can bring up the conception issue and at least have a plan to see someone for this issue in 6 months if you still haven't conceived.