ZocdocAnswersWhy are my nose hairs falling out?

Question

Why are my nose hairs falling out?

I am a 25 year old mother of one. Recently I have been waking up in the morning and blowing my nose only to find that my nose hairs are routinely falling out. Is this something that I should be worried about? I am not taking any prescription drugs, and I have not been sick within the last 2 months or so.

Answer

Nose hairs are actually quite delicate, and they are easily disrupted by manipulation. Therefore, the most likely thing is that they are simply falling out because your are blowing your nose. This is common when people have a cold or allergies or other reason that causes them to blow frequently or rub their nose. If you are not experiencing any other concerning symptoms such as changes in the texture or tone of your hair or skin or loss or thinning of hair in other parts of your body, then I would not worry further. On the other hand, if you are then there are two primary causes for generalized changes in hair patterns. The first is an underlying medical condition, usually a nutritional deficiency such as iron deficiency or thyroid disease. These can be looked for easily with simple blood tests by your primary care doctor. The second is something called telogen effluvium, which is a generalized hair loss usually triggered by stress, a new medication, or a recent severe illness. Telogen effluvium is a generally self limiting condition which does not require treatment. If you are still concerned, feel free to talk to your primary care doctor or your dermatologist.