Why does my husband's pitching arm hurt so much?

My husband is a 25 year old pitcher in a men's baseball league. Recently when playing catch, he finds that his right forearm muscle (near the elbow, but still on the inside of the forearm) has been in a lot of pain/discomfort when throwing.
Arm pain is a common complaint. Especially in pitcher's, there are many causes of this pain. The pitching motion is a violent, relatively unusual motion that puts severe strain on the joints, nerves, ligaments and muscles. This requires evaluation. I would recommend you see your primary care doctor. In addition, an orthopedic surgeon -- specifically a sport medicine orthopedic surgeon, would be of benefit to see for evaluation. There are many potential ligaments or muscles that can be causing your husband's pain. One thing that immediately jumps to mind is medial epicondylitis. Medial epicondylitis is also known as Golfer's Elbow. It is similar to Tennis Elbow (which is lateral epicondylitis). The epicondyle is the part of the humerus (upper arm bone) where the ligaments that cross the elbow attach. There are two--one the inside the medial epicondyle and one of the outside (lateral epicondyle). One of these areas can become inflamed when repetitively used. This inflammation occurs in pitcher's and golfer's alike as the ligaments that attach at this area work repeatedly and therefore start to pain. There are treatments for this, including pills, physical therapy and possibly injections. There are many other problems that could occur. I would recommend you see a sports medicine doctor.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons