ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to treat pneumonia symptoms to comfort my child?

Question

What is the best way to treat pneumonia symptoms to comfort my child?

My daughter is 19 months old and was diagnosed with pneumonia. The hospital prescribed her azithromycin 2.4ml/daily but the fever, cough and runny nose are so discomforting that she isn't sleeping. What can I do to help alleviate some of the symptoms of pneumonia and make her more comfortable?

Answer

First of all, I am sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering from pneumonia, and I hope she gets better quickly. The most important thing that you can do to aid your daughter's recovery is to make sure she takes her antibiotic (azithromycin) exactly as prescribed. Additionally, you should be looking for signs that the pneumonia is worsening or not getting better, as this occasionally happens. These signs would include persist or worsening fever even after a few days of antibiotic treatment, worsening cough or more sputum production, decreasing energy level, or signs of trouble breathing (fast breathing, sucking in under the ribs, or turning blue). Any of these symptoms would be a medical emergency and would require immediate reevaluation by your pediatrician or in the emergency room. If the antibiotic works, however, your daughter will gradually get better over a few days. You can give her acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you avoid all other over the counter cold and cough preparations in children this age. To ease the cough, make sure to give her plenty of fluids and consider putting a humidifier in her room. Remember to talk to your pediatrician if you have any other questions!