What would cause upper gum line recession and upper tooth decay?

I am 25 year old male. I brush teeth once a day. No medical issues, short or long term. No drugs or alcohol use. Have had issues with wisdom teeth extraction. Do not consume carbonated beverages. Smoke 1pk/day. I can not get a straight answer from my dentist mostly because I believe he thinks I use meth since its popular in this area. To the contrary I do not use any drugs. Should I use a specific tooth paste or should I be concerned about losing my upper teeth due to another illness? This has been an ongoing issue for the past four years. I am not on any medications.
While meth can be extremely hard on your teeth, you acknowledge another serious concern and cause of tooth decay in your question: smoking. Tobacco, whether smoked or chewed, is (in addition to being carcinogenic--meaning it causes cancer) extremely bad on your teeth and gums. The inflammation and irritation it causes can have numerous effects on the health of your gingiva. This inflammation can add to the detrimental effects that smoking has on your heart, as new research is showing that oral cavity inflammation can have long term detrimental effects on your heart health. Smoking cessation would be the absolute first place to start to preserve the health of your teeth. Your oral cavity hygiene could also be improved, as it is recommended to brush your teeth at least twice a day. As long as the toothpaste contains fluoride, the specific brand should not matter too much (although checking that it is approved by the ADA-American Dental Association- is valuable). Daily flossing will also improve the health of your teeth. Finally, it is important to have an honest relationship with your health care providers--in both directions. If you feel that your dentist is not being frank about his concerns with you, then you should discuss this with him or her so that you can both work together to help take care of your mouth.

Other Dentists