ZocdocAnswersCan I use Latisse on my eyebrows instead of eyelashes and will it work?

Question

Can I use Latisse on my eyebrows instead of eyelashes and will it work?

I was recommended by a friend to try to use Latisse on my thin eyebrows that will not grow in.

Answer

Interestingly, Latisse (or bimatoprost, the generic name for the drug) has shown some promise in stimulating growth of new lashes, as well as some darkening of the lashes that are present. This does come with the caveat that it might not work for all people, as there are some conditions that will not demonstrate any improvement with the drug. Latisse is identical to a common drug that is used for glaucoma treatment. It was discovered incidentally to have an effect on eye lash grow and pigmentation as well. It has also demonstrated some benefit in stimulating hair growth in the scalp of macaques and balding mice, although there is no literature currently documenting that it has ever worked on eye brows in humans. Theoretically, there might be some benefit, as the drug does promote the growth phase of hair follicles. A caution would be that the drug may stimulate excessive amounts of hair growth, and there has been documentation of some hair growing in white. Whenever you are considering using a drug "off label," or for a use other that what it is intended and approved for, it is vital to consult with your primary care physician who knows you well, or, better in this case, a dermatologist, who can direct you in the proper context and precautions.