ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel like I have to urinate several times during the night?

Question

Why do I feel like I have to urinate several times during the night?

I am a 25 year old woman. I often feel like I have to urinate several times during the night, but I actually only urinate a small amount. I go to the bathroom 2-3 times per night. This doesn't happen during the day. It doesn't feel like a UTI. This has been going on for the past year. I don't have a yeast infection, I went to the doctor. Should I go to a doctor for this? I'm not taking any medications.

Answer

Frequent urination at night is likely related to the fluid you are taking in late in the day. Many people have their largest meal in the evening, and drink significant fluid at that time as well. Combined with occasional alcohol or caffeinated beverages, this can often lead to many overnight trips to the restroom. Most other serious causes of frequent urination, including urinary tract infections, medication effects, kidney problems related to poor fluid absorption, and hormone problems, such as diabetes, would certainly increase urinary frequency during the day as well. You should limit all fluids to less than one glass after five in the afternoon, especially those containing alcohol or caffeine. Take only small sips with meals. Drink plenty of water earlier in the day to prevent dehydration, and make sure you empty your bladder before going to bed at night. If you notice leg swelling, increased thirst, urinary incontinence, or other alarming symptoms, you should definitely see your doctor right away. Even if you are just worried about your symptoms, it is always appropriate to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss your concerns. He or she will review your specific symptoms and medical history, and will be able to provide advice specific to your situation.