Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why am I bloated after every meal?

I am a seventeen year old girl and I am constantly dealing with an uncomfortable, bloated stomach after every meal. I took the beans and nuts out of my diet and this seems to be helping quite a bit but I still need to know more as my problem still flares up. I eat a lot of healthy foods so I was wonderingif I am possibly eating too much fiber. I always thought fiber was healthy but is there such a thing as too much fiber in your diet? What are some foods or meal ideas for people suffering from bloating and cramping?
Your symptoms of an uncomfortable bloated stomach is not that uncommon in girls your age. There are several possibilities, but the top two are celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Other diseases are are possible as well, but you aren't reporting any nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea which helps narrow some of the problems. Celiac disease is an allergy to gluten, a protein found in wheat products. Consumption of cereals, grains, breads, and other gluten rich products causes damage to the inner lining of the small intestine. Symptoms are abdominal pain, bloating, and sometimes diarrhea after eating these products. Irritable bowel syndrome is the much more common than celiac disease. IBS is causes bloating, cramping, and sometimes diarrhea or constipation. The cause is unknown and is only diagnosed after other causes of abdominal pain and discomfort have been ruled out. I think the best physician for you to see first about this issue is you a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. He or she can take a more detailed history of you symptoms and your diet. The doctor can also perform a thorough abdominal exam. If celiac disease or some other problem is suspected, you may warrant referral to a GI specialist.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!