ZocdocAnswersWhy is it becoming difficult to swallow?

Question

Why is it becoming difficult to swallow?

I'm a 28 year old single female. I have a history of seasonal allergies, mononucleosis, bronchitis, and strep throat. I have been to the doctor 3 times for a sore throat, each time resulting in a negative strep test. I have felt weak, but my appetite & diet have decreased as the pain of swallowing has increased. My ENT keeps prescribing painkillers and NSAIDs, but it keeps getting worse.

Answer

This is a very unfortunate problem, and hopefully something can be done to help you feel better. An ear-nose-and throat surgeon is definitely the appropriate specialist to be seeing at this point, and it would be important to communicate to him or her that your symptoms do not seem to be improving at all. In general, any pain that doesn't get better, or even gets worse, over time is something that you should see a physician about. I would be interested to know if your surgeon has had the chance to examine your throat either with a laryngoscope (which is passed through one of your nostrils to look at your throat and vocal cords)? This test could be invaluable to see if there is anything that is occurring at that level. It would also be important to know if you are on any chronic immunosuppressants, as these could make you more prone to an infection that could cause a sore throat. Other conditions that can cause a sore throat include post nasal drip or even acid reflux, which is also called GERD. Either of these will lead to inflammation of the throat that will be uncomfortable. Please continue to discuss these issues and the fact that they are not improving with your surgeon, and good luck!