ZocdocAnswersWhat are the treatments for 6th nerve palsy?

Question

What are the treatments for 6th nerve palsy?

I'm a 24 year old mother of two who was diagnosed at age 12 with 6th nerve palsy. Over the years my symtoms became less noticable until recently. Now my double vision and headaches are chronic.

Answer

Prior to discussing the treatment of a 6th nerve palsy, it was is important to know what the underlying cause of the 6th nerve palsy, which unfortunately is not in your description. The sixth nerve helps the eye move laterally, and so if you have a sixth nerve palsy, your eye is not able to move laterally. It is unclear whether you have the sixth nerve palsy in one eye or both, but there are a variety of treatment options available to alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing. As it is unclear from your description whether you are having unilateral or bilateral sixth nerve palsies, it may be best if you are evaluated by your eye doctor. They will be able to assess your medical history, the cause for your sixth nerve palsy, as well as what other symptoms you may be having. Depending on what their work up reveals, they may recommend further lab or imaging studies, or perhaps a referral to a specialist. They will also be able to best decide upon the appropriate treatment options available depending on what they find on work up.