ZocdocAnswersIs it true that only certain laser hair removal, like the Yag,can get rid of course dark hair?

Question

Is it true that only certain laser hair removal, like the Yag,can get rid of course dark hair?

I have very course dark hair and have had several laser treatment in two different facilities and hair has come back. I can't afford to keep surging for better and more permanent options.

Answer

Laser hair removal is a complex subject. There are many different therapies, all of which claim to have different capabilities and different limitations. In general, I would recommend that you discuss this with a dermatologist (a skin specialist). Epilation is the medical term for removing hair in its entirety (this include the hair follicle). The hope with this procedure is to limit the regrowth of hair. Without removing the hair follicle which grown in the skin, there is a likelihood that the hair will regrow. Note, the depilation is the process of removing hair above the level of the skin (thus leaving the follicle to regrow). There are many methods for epilation, including laser hair removal. No method is perfect. The common methods include plucking, waxing, laser and electrolysis. In general, the term laser often refers to different methods to apply energy to literally burn the follicle. There is no specific data on any of the methods. It really depends on the experience of your dermatologist or cosmetologist. YAG laser is no different in their outcomes than other lasers. It is a type of laser (yttrium aluminum garnet). Theoretically, there should be no difference between types of hair. Overall, laser hair removal does not work 100% of the time. I recommend that you talk to a dermatologist.