What kind of doctor should I see to take a look at my throat?

I had my tonsils removed, but I am having a sore throat that presents the same symptoms as tonsilitis.
This is an example of how we as physicians sometimes do a poor job explaining what should be expected after a procedure. In this case having your tonsils removed does not protect you against having a sore throat. A tonsillectomy protects you (at least temporarily) from recurrent episodes of tonsil infections. Typically they are done when the patient has had too many of these infections, or when the tonsils have grown to a size which obstructs breathing. A sore throat can occur with many different types of infections. In fact the most common type of infection that causes a sore throat is a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection. These occur independent of the presence of absence of tonsils. If you have had your tonsils removed recently (for example up to 2 years ago), then your ear nose and throat doctor that performed the operation will want to see you for your sore throat. This is because they want to make sure that there isn't a post-operative complication going on. If you got your tonsils removed a while ago, or if you are no longer in contact with that physician, then you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at you throat, make a diagnosis, and determine if you need any treatment. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!