Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What would be the cause of an occasional dull pain in the right side of my crotch traveling down my thigh a little an up into my abdomen?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat would be the cause of an occasional dull pain in the right side of my crotch traveling down my thigh a little an up into my abdomen?


I am a 62 year old man, fairly active physically and experience this dull pain on occasion when I'm active. I can't be all that specific on the activity because I haven't noticed any consistancy but it only happens on one side and has continued for a very long time. I do not take any medication for it and have not done any therapy.


There are a few possible causes of this type of pain. One would be an inguinal hernia. A hernia occurs when abdominal contents (fat or intestines) bulge through a defect in the abdominal wall, usually in a downward direction toward the scrotum. If the hernia is large, you should notice a bulge in or above the right side of your scrotum when you are lifting heavy weights or bearing down. However, if the hernia is small you might not notice this, but you might nevertheless experience intermittent discomfort just like you describe, especially with activity. Your primary care doctor should be able to determine whether or not you have a hernia with a simple physical examination. Another possibility would simply be muscle sprain or strain, which can occur with physical activity. This should be a soreness closely associated with exercise and usually occurring more in the muscles of the thigh and less experienced as pain in the scrotum or pubic area. There are rare, serious causes of groin pain as well. For example, a testicular torsion, or twisting of the testicle, is very serious, but usually presents as severe, sudden pain and would not come and go in the mild fashion that you describe. You should see your primary care doctor to evaluate this symptom.

Need more info?

See an internist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.